First, let us introduce the concept and give an answer to the obvious question: what is Darkgrove Design all about?
Darkgrove is a graphic design studio, which was created by the artist / graphic designer / illustrator / musician MA. Jan “Örkki” Yrlund back in 1997. Darkgrove creates artwork and illustrations mainly for the music industry and has its roots in Metal, Gothic, Fantasy, Rock and Alternative styles. Besides music related commissions, Darkgrove is also available for all kinds of different graphic works, video production and content creation.
Kuul is an advertisement agency serving domestic corporate clients.
- Art Direction – Creative mind for all your graphic needs
- CD, Vinyl and DVD cover artwork / booklet design
- Book covers and layouts
- Illustrations / pen drawings / acrylic paintings
- Website design / programming and development / e-cards
- Promotion-material: posters / flyers / banners / cards / epk (electronic press kit)
- Logo design and branding
- Video production: teasers / lyric videos (YouTube, Vimeo etc)
- Video content / stock images and video
- Band and portret photography, concert photography
- T-shirt designs, stage backdrops and decor
- Wall paintings, stage on screen projections
- Flash animations, digiscreens, led-screen advertisement
- Private commissions (gifts / photo retouching, portrait drawings etc.)
- Music production and functional music
Born in Tampere, Finland.
Senior High School of Arts
(Tammerkosken Kuvataidelukio, graduated in 1989).
Master Of Arts
(Art History, University Of Amsterdam, graduated in 1998).
Languages: fluent Finnish, Dutch, English, moderate German and Swedish
Cover artwork (Record Companies / bands). Illustrations, paintings, photography, multimedia, web-design and so on. Anything visual and creative.
Art Historian, specialized in the Dutch 17th Century fine art, Italian Renaissance, Iconography, old techniques, painting materials and atelier practices. Advisor and research-specialist on the reconstruction of the Atelier of Rembrandt (Museum the Rembrandt House). Consultant for the film “Rembrandt, de schilder aan het werk” (Visser & Rijckevorsel Filmprodukties 1998). Lectures on art-historical subjects (a.o. Nationaal Restauratie Centrum, Vrije Academie voor Kunsthistorisch Onderzoek etc.) Author of several essays and papers (Kunstenaarsmateriaal, Simulacrum etc.). Consultant on some other art-historical projects. Redaction-assistant on the exhibitions and the catalogue of “The Landscape Of Rembrandt” (Gemeentearchief Amsterdam / Foundation Custodia, Paris)…
Professional musician / composer with some 20 full lengths and +35 years experience in the music business.
Here you can check out the personal Discography
MA. Jan “Örkki” Yrlund
(Owner, Art Director)